Friday, December 10, 2010

The making of 1:12 scale Christmas Train

Every year, I try to come up with a new christmas miniature art piece. The idea of a 1:12 scale christmas train came up 2 years ago, but back then, for several reasons, I did not have the chance to attempt it. The reasons include not having enough time, not having the skills! (it is true), and I just have not figured out how to go about realizing it.

I started working on this design mid July this year. 2 years ago, I started my research on gingerbread christmas trains. Just go to Google and you will find many images of the real gingerbread christmas trains. I did another research again this year, and spent some time looking at images and figuring out how to adapt it into a 1:12 scale miniature piece. At the same time for me, it's also about injecting my personal style through the art piece.

There were many considerations, but first I had to come up with a design. Some people prefer drawing various designs on a sketch book. I work a different way though. I dive right in. Nothing beats just getting down and experimenting it. Because there wasn't a miniature "template" to begin with, I just create it from scratch, based on the image of my ideal miniature train in mind. What you see in the photo below is the result of my first piece. The only changes I did was the decoration of the train.

After I assembled the train, I sent several photos to a few friends showing them my new design, and I spent more time finalizing the decorations. I changed several things along the way and am pleased with the final result!

This is now being offered as a Christmas workshop to all who are interested to learn to make this unique 1:12 scale miniature Christmas Train art piece. Impress your family and friends with a realistic hand created miniature art work of your own! This workshop will be made available all year round, so even if you can't complete it by this Christmas, there's always Christmas next year! :D


13 comments:

  1. such an adorable little train!
    My mum did real ones (cake trains) for one of my birthday once. She filled them with candy, and it was just great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precioso, como todo lo que tu haces. Feliz navidad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your wonderful design for the train!!! ;-) It is so well done! It is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The train is adorable! Totally inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good. This train is wonderful. I really like to. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the wonderful comments!! :D

    Merry Christmas to you all!

    Pei Li

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me recuerda a las tartas de cumpleaños que les hacían a mis hijos en la pasteleria de al lado de casa,era la ilusión de todos y las piezas de adorno las tenia que sortear.
    Un abrazo
    FELICES FIESTAS
    Maite

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate you visiting my blog, and taking the time to read and leaving me comments! I do read all of them :)